Instructional Technology Tips and Tricks
10 Things I Wish I Had Known About iPads
1. Doceri (and mirroring through Apple TV) is a must have in an iPad led classroom.
2. 1:1 iPad schools should pick a productivity package & make it standard for the entire school (iWork Suite, or Google Docs are quality choices to consider).
3. Faculty should begin participating in Twitter chats for PD (consider using http://tweetdeck.twitter.com
4. Embrace a note-taking app. (I suggest Notability -- $.99 ; Note Taker HD -- $4.99 ; PaperPort Notes -- FREE)
5. Dabble with a a few apps in the same category, choose your favorite, then deliberately plan mini-lessons that force you to master it.
6. Consider using educreations to create your own lessons, find lessons from others, and have your students create lessons to share with each other.
7. Use Symbaloo to find interesting web tools and to share your bookmarks across multiple platforms (PC, mac, iOS, Android, etc.).
8. Teachers can use business collaboration tools to control, share, collaborate, and interact with students directly on their devices. These tools allow the instructor to create a presentation and then control it on multiple devices (some tools let you control up to 35 devices from the instructor device). They come with a ton of options for developing a collaborative community within your classroom and across multiple disciplines/grade-levels. This is also a great tool for PD. (The best options for this are subscription based--from $10/month and up-- but idea flight enterprise and join me are emerging as school friendly versions that are free or inexpensive).
9. Have students create iBooks using bookPress for FREE! They can also actually order a real, physical book if they would like. This is a powerful tool that is easy to use and can quickly integrate clip-art, sketches, illustrations, and videos into book, textbook, cookbook, and comic book creations.
10. Engage students' creative streaks by having them create video presentations for just about anything! Some of my favorite video editing and video creation apps are listed below:
Cleveland Rotary Club
Innovating Education Through Community Partners
NEA Foundation The Promise of Public Ed
Leveraging Teacher Leadership to Increase STEM Education
US Senate Briefing
The Need for a National Organizing Body of Digital Fabrication
NACCE California Symposium
Scaling Innovation through Partnerships
Volkswagen eLab Ribbon Cutting
Why Digital Fabrication can't be an Option
NSTA STEM Leadership
Developing, Incubating, and Implementing Public/Private Partnerships that Matter
Chattanooga Fab Institute
Revolutionizing Learning through Digital Fabrication
HCDE Future Ready Institute Launch
Developing PBL Units with Business Partners
STEM Fellows Celebration
Community Partnerships for Teacher Leadership
Scaling Innovation in Schools
Remake Learning Days
Dig Fab in the Community
Public/Private Partnerships Panel
Digital Fabrication in the Modern Classroom
Redesign for Student Success (San Diego)
Scaling Innovation through Digital Fabrication
GE Leadership Summit
Leveraging Innovative Technologies for Learning
Texas Open Innovation
Emerging Innovations in Education
FFT Leading & Learning
Connecting Global Ed
reMake Education Summit
National Governor's Asc.
Coding with Governors
US Dept of Education
Round Table with Secretary John King
K-12 Pathways for CS
K-12 Education Panel
Reducing the Racial Gap in Computing
Boston Museum of Science
Teaching with Toys
US Dept of Education
MSP CS Proposition